lørdag 21. april 2012

Mini-Challenge: Reading in Translation

Reading Through Life is hosting the "Reading in Translation" mini-challenge, which entails answering three questions:
  1. If you could read any book that’s been translated into English in its ORIGINAL language, what would it be?
  2. Include the original book’s cover if possible; if you want, also post the English cover for comparison.
  3. Optional imaginary bonus points: post a sentence from the book in its original language.
Here are my answers:
1. I would choose the epic Sanskrit poem The Mahabharata. In college, I read this version for a class, and found it fascinating. The full poem in its original language is sure to be even better. A short summary:
The Mahabharata, an ancient and vast Sanskrit poem, is a remarkable collection of epics, legends, romances, theology, and ethical and metaphysical doctrine. The core of this great work is the epic struggle between five heroic brothers, the Pandavas, and their one hundred contentious cousins for rule of the land.
2. I wasn't able to find the original cover, but I did find a few. Here are three of them from GoodReads:

 



3. I don't have access to the book in Sanskrit, so I'm unable to find a quote that I can be certain is accurate.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...